Class Title: Learning from Julia Cameron's 'The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity,' Part I
Instructor: Rachael Beaty
Class Term: May 29-July 17, 2017
enroll in this class
Come join me on a writing journey. Together we will embark on the spiritual path of writing with Julia Cameron as our guide. Over 7 weeks, we will read the first half of Cameron's seminal book on writing, The Artist's Way, and use the prompts in each chapter as opportunities to write and share. This will be a chance to delve deeply and explore the spiritual component of writing and creativity. As Cameron states, "This is a course in discovering and recovering your creative self." Students who complete this course will be eligible to take Part II of the course beginning in July.
Over a period of 7 weeks, we will read The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron, discuss the weekly readings and also do prompted writing exercises. We will share our thoughts and our writing with one another in order to encourage one another along this spiritual journey of creativity.
At the end of this class, students will be able to:
- Have a deeper understanding of the spiritual nature of creativity.
- Understand some of the most important principles and practices related to writing.
- Write more effectively as a result of reading this book and sharing with fellow writers.
- Be more attuned to the spiritual call of writing.
- Be eligible to take Part II of the class.
- Unit 1: The Basic Principles and The Basic Tools
- Unit 2: Recovering a Sense of Safety
- Unit 3: Recovering a Sense of Identity
- Unit 4: Recovering a Sense of Power
- Unit 5: Recovering a Sense of Integrity
- Unit 6: Recovering a Sense of Possibility
- Unit 7: Recovering a Sense of Abundance
Student Skills, Equipment, and Time Required
Basic Internet and computer skills, such as word processing, web browsing and email are needed. Participation in Yahoo group is required.
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours per week.
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $224. Non-SCN members: $280.
Rachael Beaty has a B.A. from UCLA in English Literature and currently works as a freelance writer and writing tutor both online and in person in greater Los Angeles. She has taught another course for Story Circle Network on Anne Lamott's book, Bird by Bird. She is excited to share Julia Cameron's wonderful book with women who are interested in learning more about writing or who want to refresh their writing skills.