Class Title: Freeing the Writer Within
Instructor: Linda Steele
Class Term: January 21-March 4, 2019
We are not accepting any more enrollments for Linda's class; the class has started.
Fun, thoughtful and creative prompts presented in a supportive writing environment. Writers of all level and interests are invited to join in this innovative journey toward developing a writing practice and get your imaginative juices flowing.
Students will receive weekly writing prompts and receive support and offer feedback in a positive writing environment.
At the end of this class, students will be able to strengthen and develop a regular writing practice; get inspiration to either begin a new writing project or get re-inspired toward one already in progress.
Instruction/Communication Method: I would like to have a yahoo group set up. I think that would be helpful. Regular email both individual and group.
- Unit 1: Introductions. Discussion of benefits of developing a regular writing practice and how having a writing practice can help you improve your writing. Creative support for being productive throughout the course. Receive first writing prompt.
- Unit 2: Students share writing. Group discussion and feedback on response to the weeks prompt. Students receive second writing prompt.
- Unit 3: Students submit response. Receive feedback and support. Group discussion and feedback. Students receive next week's prompt.
- Unit 4: Students submit response. Receive feedback and support. Group discussion and feedback. Students receive next week's prompt and thoughtful support and notes on developing a regular writing practice.
- Unit 5: Students submit response. Receive feedback and support. Group discussion and feedback. Receive next week's response. Check in about specific writing habits and writing goals for when course ends. Receive final prompt.
- Unit 6: Students submit response. Group discussion. Receive feedback and support on writing.
Student Skills, Equipment, and Time Required
Willingness to join in, engage in the course and write to the prompts provided. Willingness to offer support and engage in feedback. A computer.
Time Commitment: approximately 2 hours per week.
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $192. Non-SCN members: $240.
Linda Steele is a writer and teacher who is constantly learning and growing. She loves to create in many different mediums and thrives on engaging in community around creative works both art and writing. She has a passion for inspiring others to explore their writing voice through developing a daily writing practice. She has worked with Natalie Goldberg, Julia Cameron and David Whyte. Visit her website & her blog.