Class Title: Muscle-up the Gut of Your Story: How to Write the Novel
Instructor: Susan Wingate
We are not accepting any more enrollments for Susan's class; the class has started.
Students will learn to chart out and complete their novels in an organized fashion using plot points and focusing on climax to guide their storytelling from the beginning, to the middle and, finally, to the end. The student will learn how to utilize connectivity within the arc of the story and how the connectivity is found in the main character's growth.
Over this 4-week course, students will concentrate on how to outline their story idea using Susan's method which employs pitch points as a means to build in risk, heightened suspense, and pacing. Students will build their story's outline in order to create a skeletal novel that they will be able to fill in after completing the class.
At the end of this class, students will be able to take any viable story idea, outline that idea, and then write their novels to completion in an efficient and effective manner.
Instruction/Communication Method: I will be delivering handouts and other materials via email. As well, students will send me their written work via email. Students will be required to buy my e-workbook "Muscle-up the Gut of Your Story: How to Write the Novel," which has a nominal cost of $2.99.
- Unit 1: Introduction, how to outline, as well as character, conflict and setting
- Unit 2: Character arc and story arc. Also, pitch points and how they fit into the outline
- Unit 3: Building the climax of the story and infusing pitch points for the beginning of the story
- Unit 4: Infusing pitch points for the middle of the story as well as learning denouement, epiphany and connecting the story arc from the beginning to the end
Student Skills, Equipment, and Time Required
Beginning to advanced writing skills. Knowledgeable in using Word, the internet, and email.
Time Commitment: 2-4 hours.
Tuition/Fees for this course
SCN members: $128. Non-SCN members: $160.
Susan Wingate is a #1 Amazon bestseller and an award-winning author of books that span the genres of mystery, thriller, romantic suspense, paranormal, inspirational and Christian fiction, fantasy, memoir, and writing how-to's. Her novels are recommended for teenagers, young adults, and for older adults who are young at heart! Visit her website and her blog.
Praise for Susan's Classes
- Susan Wingate was great support—I started out in the summer not knowing if I could write fiction and by the end of the two 8 week sessions, I'm much more confident in my abilities and I have a good idea of where I need to go next :) —Mary C., Pine CO
- This was a great class! I'm going to do [Susan Wingate's] Sept. class so I can keep writing :) —Mary C., Pine CO